Aerospace Education Member Information
Welcome to Civil Air Patrol's (CAP) Aerospace Education (AE) introduction page. Aerospace Education is one of the three mission elements of CAP, the other two being Cadet Programs and Emergency Services. The mission of AE is to educate, inspire, and instill an appreciation for and an understanding of aerospace in today and tomorrow's world. CAP promotes aerospace to our members and the general public. Through aerospace, CAP is helping inspire students toward science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) subjects and careers.
If you are already a member who is an educator of any kind, click here to go to AE's main page. Not a member? Continue reading, and consider joining as an Aerospace Education Member (AEM)! This unique membership category is designed for educators or others involved in promoting aerospace/STEM education in classrooms, museums, or other youth organizations.
Teaching Ordinary Subjects in Extraordinary Ways
CAP promotes and supports aerospace/STEM education, both for its own members and the general public. CAP educational programs help prepare American citizens to meet the challenges of a sophisticated, global aerospace society and understand its related issues.
CAP offers educator members free national academic standards-based educational products, including a secondary textbook, Aerospace: The Journey of Flight, and six middle-school-level Aerospace Dimensions modules. There are numerous other educational products involving robotics, rocketry, astronomy, satellite imagery, model and remote control aircraft, cyber security, and much more that can be found HERE.
Civil Air Patrol, the volunteer auxilliary of the U.S. Air Force, is helping develop tomorrow's aerospace/STEM workforce by Making Aerospace Real for Students (MARS)!
Through CAP's award-winning MARS program, educators are offered:
- Free national standards-based aerospace education materials for youth organizations, museums, and K-12 public/private/paraochial/home schools
- The K-12 Aerospace Education Excellence (AEX) Award program that can be integrated in the classroom or used as a stand-alone after-school or camp program
- The K-6 Aerospace Connections in Education (ACE) program for schools
- Grants available from Air Force Association to implement aerospace/STEM projects
- Low-cost aerospace textbooks that can be purchased for grades 6-12 from Vanguard (Aerospace: The Journey of Flight textbook-CAP0038D-and six Aerospace Dimensions modules-CAP0037D- and educator guides)
- Aerospace education newsletters full of current and useful information
- Teacher Orientation Program (TOP) flights in powered aircraft at local airport
- Aerospace-oriented workshops
- Aerospace education speakers and resources nationwide
CAP offers students, ages 12-18, the opportunity to become a CAP Cadet:
Click on Cadet Programs and check out the left bar for information about:
- Orientation Flights
- Aerospace/STEM Career Exploration
- Cadets at School programs (wherein educators can start a CAP cadet squadron as an after-school program)
CAP's programs are nationally recognized:
- 2011 and 2012 National All Service Division Champions of the Air Force Association's CyberPatriot: The High School Cyber Defense Competition
- >>> 2012 National All Service Division Cyber Forensics Champion
- >>> 2013 National All Service Division Cisco Cyber Hardware Champion
- 2011 recipient of the National Coalition for Aviation and Space Education's two top aerospace awards: Crown Circle and Mervin K. Strickler Awards for Aerospace Education Leadership
- Past recipient of the Air Force Association's Vandenberg Award, the National Aeronautics Association's Brewer Trophy, and the Space Foundation's Education Achievement Award
Let Civil Air Patrol introduce YOU and YOUR YOUTH to MARS!
Become an Aerospace Education Member of CAP today! As a 501(c)3 nonprofit, humanitarian corporation, CAP more than returns your $35 membership dues in free programs, products and services.
Click here for the CAP Aerospace Education Main Page.
Click here to learn more about membership and join as an Aerospace Education Member (AEM).